Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lucky in Love

One of my readers (and I realize there's only like 3 of you out there) has requested a posting on being a bridesmaid, as she is about to be one herself! I was extremely honored to be a bridesmaid recently for my best friend from high school, Sheila. I had amazingly wonderful bridemaids (including Sheila!) so now I was so glad to have the opportunity to return the favor. One of my fabulous responsibilities included planning and hosting the bachelorette party! Now Sheila is as Irish as can be (complete with red hair, an Irish first, middle and last name, and a graduate and obcessive fan of Notre Dame) so I chose the theme "Lucky in Love." I planned on incorporating shamrocks wherever possible which led to this cute little invitation.

I used a shamrock punch to let the green paper show through plus a little jewel for some bachelorette bling. I stuffed them in pink envelopes and sealed them with the sticker shown above. For decorations I stuck with the pink and green theme including the cake, flowers, napkins, plates, tableclothes and you guessed it....Japanese laterns (I'm a bit obcessed). The cake was beautiful but as you can see describing the pink I was going for to the cake person on the phone hundreds of miles away is more difficult than I thought. So....it was more of a purple. Still cute and delicious though!




For the lingerie party we first played a quiz game where all of the ladies tried to answer questions about the groom. We sent a list of questions to the groom (without Sheila knowing) and played the game with his responses. For those of you planning a party in the future....some of my favorite questions are:

1. Where were you (the groom) born?
2. What is your favorite color?
3. What was your first pet?
4. If you could visit one place in the world, where would it be?
5. What was your favorite class in undergrad?
6. What was your nickname as a kid?
7. What is your favorite color for (Bride's name) to wear?
8. What is your favorite part of (Bride's) body?
9. What are you looking forward most to about married life?
10. What was the name of your first girlfriend?
11. When did you know that Sheila was the one?
12. Where was your first kiss with (Bride)?
13. What was your first impression of (Bride) when you met her?
14. If you could have a dream car ($ is no object) what would it be?
15. Do you want pets? What kind of animal?
16. How many kids do you want to have?
17. What is your favorite food?
18. What is your favorite song?
19. What is your pet name for (Bride)?
20. What is (Bride's) pet name for you?
21. What is your idea of the perfect date?

After the quiz, was the grand gift opening! I bought some clothesline (pink, of course) and hung it up in the living room so as Sheila opened each gift, she could hang it up for display! Ooo, la la!

Also, I stole a very cute idea from my sister-in-law's shower, and we made the Groom a "Honeymoon Menu." After each gift was opened, we thought of a food that described each "outfit" and so on the honeymoon, the groom could pick his dessert. :)
Later in the planning stages, I found out that the Bride-to-Be wanted to celebrate her last days of single-dom by going to a western dancing club about one mile from my house. Despite the very close proximity, we had never been here....probably b/c we left Tulsa before we were 21. So....I decided to make this a multi-themed event. :P Shamrocks for the lingerie party with a swift transition to Cowgirls Night Out. Eh, why not! Two themes for the price of one. To properly outfit the attendees, I went to Party City, where I must say, I was shocked to find an entire line of Cowgirl themed bachelorette gear. I got sheriff badges, bandanas that said "Party Crew," a "Most Wanted" garter and the most amazing hat, modeled below by the bride herself. Hott.

Everyone got cowgirl and we looked amazing. Yee haw. From there we headed off for a night of dancing (ladies night!) at Caravan Cattle Co.

Other than that, as a bridesmaid, I assembled and delivered adorable welcome gift bags (Notre Dame and wedding colors) complete with Advil, a CD of songs about Oklahoma and yummy goodies, set up a photobooth at the wedding reception, took tons of photos of every possible moment, arranged the video taping of the ceremony (thanks to my great husband!), attended bridal showers and an amazing 80s themed bachelorette party in Chicago, gave fabulous presents and cried as Sheila walked down the aisle. :) She was absolutely beautiful. Now that I have been both a bridesmaid and a bride....I think the most important duty as a bridesmaid is to make sure the bride knows you are there for her - call often, send cards and ask questions. She'll want to talk about everything - it is her big day afterall! :D And it is sooooo much fun.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post! I was so excited when it popped up in Google Reader!

    ReplyDelete